Mar 17, 2012

My Newsets Ebay Find


This group of Woman's Home Campanions are my latest Ebay purchase. I am so excited!!! They were sold as a lot and included issues from 1946 - 49. The price was phenomenal!!! less than $6.00 each and NO SHIPPING costs!!! I'm sooooooooo excited. These are very LARGE magazines (about the size of those 'newspaper ad type flyers you get in the mail each week). I thought it would be fun to share some of the things I find most interesting in each magazine. Since today is St. Patrick's Day, I thought I'd start with the March 1947 issue. I will share the others as time goes by.

I don't know if you'll be able to read the cover titles, but if not they say: "False Honeymoon" by Marian Sims ('A new serial), "Disturb Not Our Dreams" by Hobart Skidmore ('Complete novel'), "Catch Me Before I Kill!" by Albert Deutch ('a vital article'). In the corner is an old icon for the American Red Cross that says "Give".
   
 Things haven't changed in almost 60 years.

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, AND SMASH UP, THE STORY OF A WOMAN were 3 movies that Kay Mulvey reviewed while 'On Location'.
Another thing that hasn't changes is that 'a woman's work is never done'... but the tools that she uses does. I think we women of today also look for the cost, the quality, and the time it takes when we have to do those 'chores'.
Along with interesting advertisements like the one above there are short stories as well as numerous articles about social issues that we talk about even today.
 I love the artwork that goes along with the articles! :)
  What woman's magazine wouldn't have beauty....
latest hairstyles....
fashions and...
and SHOES!!!
And NEWS! This is Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip before they were married. They were attending a friend's wedding.
This sounds like it came right out of today's headlines!!! 
Medicine & Wellness
TISSUES! I remember as a child in the 60s we would bring boxes like these to school to put in our desks :)
I've had such fun looking and reading through this issue, I can't wait to see what's in the others. I'll be sharing more later.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Don't Carry Tales from Pinup Girl (1944)

From Twice Blessed (1945)

Cadance is wonderful!!!