Jan 8, 2012

What's for Dinner?


When confronted with the question of "What's for Dinner?" I thought about finding something nutritious, inexpensive, and possibly something I could find in one of my WWII cookbooks. So, I thought I'd share what I've decided on... good Old Fashioned NAVY BEAN SOUP! I remember eating this as a child and thought "How perfect for a slightly cool day!" Although I should have thought about this last night, because the beans have to soak, I started soaking them early this morning. I think they'll be just fine to cook in 6 - 8 hours. And you can't have Bean Soup without Cornbread! So, I'll be baking that later today. From what I've read about the 40s beans were a staple and were an economical food. I don't think this has changed much today. I think I spent about a dollar on a one pound bag of beans and I have a ham bone that was in the freezer that was left over from our Christmas meal. The recipe that I'm using today is from the UNITED STATES REGIONAL COOKBOOK pictured above. Below the recipe, you'll find some info on the nutritional value of beans.


Navy Beans are often purchased in 2-lb. bags that yield 24, 1/2-cup servings. These beans, which are white in color, are a good source of fiber, protein, iron and calcium, and are low in fat and cholesterol. Beans are a good stand-alone dish and are also work well in stews and soups. People use a variety of methods to cook great northern beans, including in a skillet or a large pot. Cooking great northern beans in a crockpot is a good way to get the benefits of slow-cooking without the attention required for stove-top cooking.
I won't be cooking my soup in the crockpot today.
I'll let you all know who the Soup turned out ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Don't Carry Tales from Pinup Girl (1944)

From Twice Blessed (1945)

Cadance is wonderful!!!